As tonally versatile as it is functionally, it has a unique feature set, including 100% discrete Pure Class A amplification; Avalon’s passive TONE-BANK™, which provides 10 EQ filters for various recording and performance applications; professional VU meter with dual peak LED’s; and multiple outputs including an instrument-level, transformer-isolated Re-amp. With deep, controlled bass, a full, musical midrange, and enhanced vocal presence, the V5 is designed to optimize signal integrity and musical performance. The V5 mic preamp can handle the most sensitive ribbon mics, as well as dynamics and condensers, while the DI provides the depth and clarity for bass and electric guitars, acoustic instruments, keyboards, synthesizers, and very low-output passive pickups without breaking a sweat. If you’re serious about making records, the Avalon V5 will give your tracks some serious mojo.
Avalon V5 DI-RE-Microphone Preamplifier in one take:
- Pure Class A, 100% discrete design
- Forward musical detail and sonic excellence
- Minimum audio signal path
- High quality transformer input and isolated output
- Microphone and Hi-Z inputs to +36dB
- Very low noise -100dB
- High headroom +30dB
- Switched 2dB, high-gain preamplifer to +66dB
- DC-coupled Class A outputs for superior bass
- Large illuminated professional VU meter
- LED active & peak signal indicator
- Regulated +48v phantom power supply
- Low distortion less than 0.5% THD and IMD
- Variable passive high pass (bass cut) filter
- All signal routing with sealed silver relays
- RE-preamplifier with line, DI or microphone input
- Ten passive TONE-BANK filter selections
- Polarity (phase) reverse on all input-outputs
- High-cut switch (low pass filter) eliminates hiss
- Headphone monitor output jack
- Professional VU meter -30dB to +18dB
- Buffered DI output & ground isolation switch
- 100% discrete power supplies for audio path
- Internal toroidal power supply for low noise
- Long-lasting, stainless steel hardware
INSIDE THE BOX—Avalon V5
Along with the best of the Avalon and a studio-quality mic preamp, the V5 offers a unique sonic character. It features two cascaded solid-state topologies that provide rich, low midrange harmonic content not found in other Avalon preamplifiers. The state-of-the-art DI input stage provides a very-high impedance, zero-load effect on sensitive pickups and keyboards, while maintaining massive input headroom to +36dB before overload.
Minimum Signal Path Design
The V5 includes a very high-quality input transformer (same as the Avalon VT-737sp) with dual-input impedance loading for perfect mic/cable matching, high-cut switch to eliminate unwanted acoustic pickup and high-frequency noise. It also has a headphone monitor amp and DC-coupled, 100% Class A output amplifiers for defined bass. It also includes a buffered “thru” output for tuners or power amp inputs, internal toroid power transformer with discrete high-voltage power supplies for low noise, and sealed silver relays for transparent signal routing.
OUTSIDE THE BOX—Avalon V5
The front panel of the V5 includes a stepped gain control, 10-position tone control, high-cut filter and tone on/off switches, input impedance and phantom power selector, phase reverse and pad buttons, plus power and signal indicators.
The rear panel I/O includes XLR and ¼” line outputs, ¼” -18dB to Amp output, and ¼” thru-put. Inputs include XLR mic and line connectors, ¼” line in, and ¼” headphone jack. There is also a ground-lift switch, power on/off, and an IEC receptacle with selectable 115/230V operation for international use.